Culture and Clubs
Merchiston Preparatory School believes wholeheartedly in the importance of a well-balanced education. Our boys are offered a number of opportunities to be involved in arts and culture, both in class and as extra-mural activities. During the year, boys can take part in a number of productions, exhibitions and Eisteddfods.
As a school, we believe that the arts teach our boys a number of important lessons, essential to their development:
- Creativity, imagination and communication
- The freedom of expression, in all forms
- The value of experimentation
- Self-expression and self-confidence
- Listening, feeling, sensing and moving
- Teamwork, cohesiveness and connectivity
- Self-awareness and awareness of others
All boys from Grades R to 7 attend weekly Music lessons. They are taught the elements of music and music appreciation through singing, playing and learning about instruments, playing games, movement and listening to music. Learning to play certain instruments is offered as an optional extra. Every year ‘Talking Drums’ visits Merchiston and all boys from Grade RRR to Grade 7 participate in the rhythmical playing of Djembe drums! These sessions encourage listening skills, promote self confidence and break down barriers in a fun environment.